If you’re looking to move to Spain and become a citizen, the process can be long and complicated. However, one option that has become increasingly popular in recent years is citizenship by investment. Spain offers this pathway to citizenship for individuals who invest a certain amount of money into the country’s economy. In this guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about citizenship by investment in Spain, including the requirements, benefits, and process.
If you want to move to Spain with a short-term (Spanish digital nomad visa) or long-term residence permit, it is a shorter and easier process than what is outlined below. The digital nomad visa can be used by anyone for a short-term move to Spain, even if they don’t consider themselves a “nomad.”
Requirements for Citizenship by Investment in Spain
To become a citizen of Spain through investment, there are several requirements that you must meet. These requirements include:
- Investment: The first requirement is that you must invest a minimum of €500,000 in Spanish real estate. This can be a single property or a portfolio of properties, as long as the total value is €500,000 or more.
- Clean criminal record: You must have a clean criminal record in Spain and any other country where you have lived for the past five years.
- Health insurance: You must have valid health insurance coverage in Spain.
- Financial means: You must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself and any dependents while living in Spain.
- Residency: You must be a legal resident of Spain for at least ten years before you can apply for citizenship.
Benefits of Citizenship by Investment in Spain
There are several benefits to obtaining citizenship by investment in Spain, including:
- Access to the European Union: As a citizen of Spain, you will have access to the European Union and its many benefits, including the ability to travel, work, and study freely throughout the EU.
- Visa-free travel: Spanish citizens have visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to over 180 countries worldwide, making it easy to travel internationally.
- Improved quality of life: Spain is known for its high quality of life, with excellent healthcare, education, and cultural opportunities.
- Business opportunities: As a citizen of Spain, you will have access to a thriving business environment, with opportunities to invest and start your own business.
Process for Citizenship by Investment in Spain
If you meet the requirements for citizenship by investment in Spain, the process for obtaining citizenship is as follows:
- Invest in real estate: The first step is to invest at least €500,000 in Spanish real estate. This can be done through a real estate agent or directly with a property developer.
- Obtain residency: Once you have made the investment, you will need to obtain residency in Spain. This can be done through a variety of means, including a work visa, student visa, or investor visa.
- Maintain residency: You will need to maintain your residency in Spain for at least ten years, which includes spending at least six months per year in the country.
- Apply for citizenship: After ten years of residency, you can apply for citizenship in Spain. This process involves submitting an application, paying a fee, and attending an interview with a Spanish immigration official.
- Receive citizenship: If your application is approved, you will receive your Spanish citizenship and be entitled to all the benefits of being a Spanish citizen.
Citizenship by investment is an excellent option for those looking to move to Spain and become a citizen. While the process can be lengthy and expensive, the benefits are significant, including access to the European Union, improved quality of life, and business opportunities. If you’re considering citizenship by investment in Spain, be sure to research the requirements and process thoroughly to ensure that you meet all the necessary criteria and that it is the right option for you.