Advanced Search
Advanced Search

100 to 15,000,000

More Search Options
we found 0 results
Your search results

Buying Property In Thailand: A Guide For Foreigners

Posted by Espatriati on April 11, 2021
| 0

Thailand, known as the Land of Smiles, is a popular destination for tourists and expats alike. With its beautiful beaches, fascinating culture, and affordable living, it’s no wonder that many foreigners are interested in buying property in Thailand. However, the process of purchasing real estate in Thailand can be complicated, especially for non-citizens. This guide will provide you with essential information and tips for navigating the Thai property market and ensuring a smooth transaction.

Understanding Thai Property Laws for Non-Citizens

The first step to buying property in Thailand as a non-citizen is understanding the local laws and regulations. Thai property laws are relatively strict when it comes to foreigners owning land. Non-citizens are not allowed to own freehold land in their name, but there are several ways to navigate this restriction:

  1. Leasehold Agreement: Foreigners can lease land for up to 30 years, with the option to renew the lease for an additional 30 years. This is the most common method for non-citizens to acquire land in Thailand.
  2. Thai Limited Company: Foreigners can establish a Thai limited company, which can own land. Non-citizens can hold up to 49% of the shares in the company, while the remaining 51% must be owned by Thai nationals.
  3. Condominium Ownership: Non-citizens can own freehold condominium units, provided that at least 51% of the building’s units are owned by Thai nationals. This is the most straightforward option for foreigners looking to buy property in Thailand.

Finding the Right Property

To find the right property in Thailand, it’s important to research the different regions, localities, and property types. Some popular areas for foreigners include Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Consider the following factors when searching for your ideal property:

  1. Location: Consider the proximity to amenities such as public transportation, schools, hospitals and shopping centers. Additionally, research the local infrastructure and development plans to ensure the area meets your long-term needs.
  2. Type of Property: There are various types of properties available in Thailand, including condominiums, townhouses, detached houses and land for development. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages, so consider your needs, preferences, and budget when choosing a property.
  3. Legal Status: Ensure the property has a proper title deed and is free from any liens, mortgages or legal disputes. Engage a reputable lawyer to perform due diligence on the property’s legal status.
  4. Price: Compare the prices of similar properties in the area to ensure you’re getting a fair deal. Keep in mind that property prices in Thailand can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, age, and quality of construction.

Hiring a Real Estate Agent

Working with a local real estate agent can make the process of finding and purchasing a property in Thailand much smoother. A knowledgeable agent can help you find properties that meet your criteria, negotiate the best price, and guide you through the legal process. When choosing a real estate agent, consider the following:

  1. Experience: Look for agents who have experience working with foreigners and understand the unique challenges non-citizens face when buying property in Thailand.
  2. Communication: Choose an agent who can communicate effectively in your native language to avoid misunderstandings and ensure a smooth transaction.
  3. Reputation: Seek recommendations from friends, family, or online forums to find a reputable agent with a proven track record.

Important: To ensure a smooth and legally compliant real estate transaction in Thailand, engage a reputable Thai lawyer who has experience working with foreigners.

  • Do you need more information? is the fastest way to reach us. Try it!

Compare Listings